Innovate Inside the Box Reflection 2: Learner Driven, Evidence Informed


"Data driven is the stupidest term in education... what if we shifted our focus on our practice to be learner driven and evidence informed" (Couros p. 23 and 25). Although, I've only read through part one of Innovate Inside the Box, reading this in chapter 2 reminded me how much I have to learn. Without realizing it I previously shared different tools for how how you can use technology to be evidence informed, in my blog two weeks ago. For today I'd like to focus on the part for creating a learner driven environment. It all begins with providing students the platform to be open and thoughtful. 

At the beginning of the school year I would have my students create a class contract. Here is the process I used: 
  • Students were given mini-sticky notes. They were given four questions with one minute per question to list as many answers using as many sticky notes as needed. The four questions were: How do you wanted to be treated by others? How do you want to be treated by your teacher? How do you think others want to be treated by you? How do you think your teacher wants to be treated by you?
  • They were then given three minutes and were assigned a partner in which they would share all of the ideas they listed. They then consolidated any ideas that were similar. 
  • They were then combined with another partnership in which they repeated this process as a group. 
  • I then prepared anchor chart paper and rotated through the different groups that had been formed. Each one shared one of the ideas, the rest of the groups would give a thumbs up if they had also discussed that behavior/action. 
  • Once we went through all the groups and had all of the ideas listed I explained that in the classroom we were a community of mathematicians who needed to come to a consensus on how we would interact in that space. I gave them the liberty to eliminate or add to the behaviors listed if they had a valid reason and their classmates also agreed. 
  • Finally when we came to a consensus everyone signed the anchor chart paper to show that they would agree to behave in this manner to create a positive classroom environment. 
I would get these laminated and I would post them around the room and would redirect students throughout the school year to remind them what they had agreed on. This was a great strategy to get students to buy into the type of classroom environment that would be welcoming and safe. However, reading through chapter 2, I was pushed to think more deeply than just the environment inside my room. To truly create a learner driven environment Couros recommended asking students the following 5 questions to not only shape a positive environment but to also encourage curiosity and a growth mindset: 
  1. What are the qualities that you look for in a teacher?
  2. What are you passionate about?
  3. What is one BIG question you have for this year?
  4. What are your strengths and how can we utilize them?
  5. What does success at the end of the year look like for you?
Oh how I wish I had thought or known of these questions when I was in the classroom! It doesn't simply focus on behaviors but pushes students to think at a more rigorous level. It starts out positive because it focuses on strengths and success! Although, I'm not in the classroom I do feel these can easily be re-worded so that they can be used with teachers I coach. We are currently heading into testing season so I do feel this isn't the right time to ask them however, it will definitely be something I do at the beginning of next year.


Out of all 5, question #4 is my favorite. The reason being that by the time students arrived into my classroom in 7th grade they had been told time after time, what they failed at or what their weaknesses were. I don't remember a single time when a student arrived to my classroom in which they would share or state what any of their strengths were. It's unfortunately something we all tend to focus on, the negative. Even now as a coach I notice the same pattern with teachers I coach. I tend to get the "oh that was a tough class" or " I know I didn't do so great with..." when in all honesty they had done a great job. I absolutely loved reading a quote shared by a psychologist named Donald O. Clifton, "what will happen when we think about what is right with people rather than fixating on what is wrong with them?" As many state, we are our own worst critiques, I didn't learn how to focus on strengths until I was first mentally prepared to use them to improve my weakness. I had taken the Clifton Strengths Finder in college but not really used them for anything and I got a second opportunity to do them again summer 2018. The results are as follow:
  1. Achiever- work hard and possess great deal of stamina; take immense satisfaction in being busy/productive
  2. Strategic- create alternative ways to proceed; can quickly spot relevant patterns/ issues
  3. Significance- want to make a big impact; independent/ prioritize projects based on influence it will have on people around them or in their organization
  4. Responsibility- take psychological ownership of what they say they will do; committed to stable values such as honesty and loyalty
  5. Futuristic- inspired by the future and what could be; energize others with visions of the future
If you personally know me, I'm pretty sure these are not shocking. Through these I learned not only how great my strengths were but also how I could use them to their potential. Knowing my middle schoolers many would not be able to answer what their strengths are. Having them do a strengths quiz or personality test might be a great way to help them focus on the positive and an even better way to start a growth mindset. I'd actually like to give 2 of these Clifton Strength's finder books/quizzes by doing a raffle! So if by chance you're still reading this and would like to get put into the raffle for one of the Clifton Strengths finder books retweet my blog for this week with a comment that either states why you'd like to learn your strengths or a strategy you use(d) in your classroom to encourage a learner driven environment. 

As for my self-care for this week, I added reading as one of my action items for the week and I actually gave myself time to do it! I finished reading my second book for the year 2020, I always enjoy reading but I feel guilty when I do it instead of doing something related to work or school. So I set a goal of reading 12 books this year, one for each month and I'm on the right track! 

Comments