Using Technology for Student Feedback


          Five years ago I joined a fellowship that changed my pedagogical mindset for the better, thank you SBISD Vanguard! I was able to go through an ideation process in which I asked "How to purposefully use technology/apps to differentiate? (7th grade Math)." on a large anchor chart. Others did the same by writing a question they wanted help answering and we all did a gallery walk with post it notes where we would posted a possible solution no matter how crazy it seemed.  Any type of answer was allowed so that our minds weren't blocked by "limitations" we normally tell ourselves. Ever since then, this anchor chart of ideas has been in my home study so that I am sure to never forget this process! 
                                                
          Now our district is at a point of digital expansion which is extremely exciting and is leading us to a point of truly diving deep into the purpose of integrating technology into the classroom. There are currently multiple models of how technology should be integrated varying from flipped learningSAMR , and TIM. All can be great when implemented correctly however, there aren't always great examples of how to implement them to specific grade levels and contents.          
            For this reason ISTE created standards that could be used when planning for technology integration with students. For the next couple blogs I wanted to dedicate some time in providing resources and examples of how these standards could be implemented. Just as always, I encourage you to share in the comments below if you have your own examples and ideas to get collaboration going. I am definitely not an expert but I am someone who loves to learn and share. 
          This week I'd like to focus on 1c (Empowered Learner), Students use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways. The purpose of feedback is to improve so why not use technology to provide the supports so that you can be multiplied as an educator. Before students can take ownership of seeking their feedback they must be taught what to do when they receive that feedback. The following tools can be used to provide instant feedback with remediation when students aren't understanding what is being learned: 
Tool 1: Creating a differentiated pathway with Google Forms. Provide students a multiple choice question, their answer then determines if they move to the next step or to a resource that assists them in understanding/ learning what the error was. Here is an example used for a review and a video showing how you can create your own. I recommend adding an open ended response question where students can reflect on the misconceptions they had and how their progress is going throughout their independent practice. More than likely students haven't previously been held accountable for meaningful reflections so I also recommend providing sentence stems and word banks to help create an in depth reflection. 
Tool 2: Creating a "Learning Path" in ItsLearning. ItsLearning created this video showcasing how to create a Learning Path, as did these wonderful educators  (video) as well!  At 3 mins 13 seconds they begin to show you how you can use the "test tool" to create different pathways for students based on their percentage. This can allow you to move your students to different steps/ resources/ activities based on what they are understanding. As for the student reflection piece on their misconceptions and progress, I recommend integrating a discussion board or assignment. 
If you'd like to see specific examples for your grade level/content or want a thought partner on how to make it happen just let me know! 
These two tools only covers the first part of the standard, the second part is demonstrating their learning in a variety of way. To learn tools students can use, you'll have to tune in to next weeks blog!

This week my self-care was simple... I made sure to take my vitamins every single day! A strength of mine is flexibility however, this means I don't usually have the same routine which then leads me to forget to take my vitamins two to three times a week. I've made it a point to leave my vitamins on my desk from Monday thru Friday and in my living room Saturday and Sunday so that they are in front of me as a reminder to take them. I hope you are also keeping up with your own self-care and you have a remarkable week! 








Comments