Nearpod with Rational Numbers = SUCCESS!!!


Even whispering "rational numbers" gave me shivers! This is the first unit our students in 7th grade learn in Spring Branch ISD and I can vouch how difficult it can be.  The first part that makes it challenging is how students haven't reviewed adding and subtracting with rational numbers for a whole year, since it was taught in 5th grade.  The second part of the challenge is how any and every word problem shown to students has more than two steps and can be solved in numerous ways! 

 Reflecting on past years I can say whole class teaching in which I am standing in the front of the room did not work; I repeat IT DID NOT WORK. Solely giving students technology without a purposeful meaning also did not work; I repeat TECHNOLOGY WITHOUT A PURPOSE DID NOT WORK. Thoughtful reflections challenged me to think of other solutions. 
Challenge accepted and as a fourth year teacher I can now say I have seen success! 

My solution
There is a free version of nearpod that includes everything I used with my first unit so it has been tried, student approved, and now recommended.
CLICK HERE TO PREVIEW ONE OF MY LESSONS
Nearpod made my instruction engaging because students were actively participating rather than copying notes. You can see every student had choice in their video selection. Every student had their "Book of Knowledge" (interactive student notebook) out and was deciding what was important to write down as examples and notes. Through out the lesson I included videos, collaboration tools, open ended questions, quizzes, and a few more things.

My favorite the DRAW IT tool: It allowed me as a math teacher to see students work instantly as it was submitted. I didn't just receive data from multiple choice questions; I saw steps!

 

I could catch mistakes my students were doing immediately; instead of cringing when I saw these mistakes on exit tickets or worse in their test booklets. 
All in all I am beyond happy that I tried Nearpod because our scores for our first unit test increased 12 percent!!! Happy dance time!!! We definitely have room for improvement but all I can say to that is 
because nothing can stop me now!!!

Comments